Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

My NSLC Experience

I know I was gone for a while, but I was at the National Student Leadership Conference (NSLC) at Fordham University in New York. It was ten days long, and the one I attended was for Sports and Entertainment Management.
First, a quick background: NSLC is a program for students who are about to be either juniors or seniors. You get to stay at a college campus, go to lectures, and do simulations on the subject you chose. They have quite a few options, including theater, culinary, business and politics.
Now for my experience: The classes/ lectures were okay for the most part. There was one really bad lecturer, and one really good one.
The simulations were fun, though. For one of them, we got to be an agency, and we had to sign a client. My agency was exclusive to athletes, so we signed a basketball player. We then had to sign him to a team, get him endorsements, and keep his public image clean. The other simulation was event planning. I helped plan a social, which turned out great and it was a lot of fun. 
And what I got from this experience: Well, something to put on my college app, and a letter of recommendation for starters. I wouldn't say I learned a lot from the lectures or anything, but I certainly got a good idea of what means to be in the Sports and Entertainment business. I'd say the main thing I got out of it was the experiences. We toured NBC studios, Yankee Stadium, and Radio City Music Hall. There a lot of socials, and tons of cool people from around the country, who were on the same career path as me. You get closer to people than you would think is possible in the ten days you're there. Not to mention the fact that I got a sense of college life.
It is an expensive program, but it's also a unique experience, and if you're passionate about one of the subjects, I would recommend it.
Here's the link for their website if you want to check it out: http://www.nslcleaders.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment